Field Hockey upsets No. 20 Boston University

The AU field hockey team defeated Patriot League newcomer No. 20 Boston University 1-0 in Boston on Sept. 28 giving the Eagles first place in the Patriot League.

Senior midfielder Grace Wilson was the offense for the Eagles scoring the game winner in the 82nd minute of overtime.

Wilson’s scoring opportunity began when junior forward Kati Rothenhoefer was awarded a penalty corner. Rothenhoefer’s corner found the stick of senior midfielder Shelly Montgomery whose shot would be blocked. The rebound would find Wilson who put it in on the right side of the net for the only, and most important, goal of the game. It was Wilson’s fifth goal of the season, giving her the team lead.

Eagle senior goalie Ashley Dalisera was active on the afternoon making 12 saves, earning her second shutout of the season.

Offensive opportunities looked to be slim early in the match as both teams combined for four shots in the first 15 minutes of the contest.

The second half the scoring opportunities would pick up as the Terriers would pepper Dalisera with 17 shots, none of which would result in a score.

BU would outshoot the Eagles 22-8 and win the battle of corners 12-5.

The matchup against the Terriers was the first time any AU team had taken on BU as a member of the Patriot League.

Just six days earlier, the Eagles had flirted with an upset when they took then No. 15 Wake Forest to double overtime before dropping 3-2 to the Demon Deacons.

AU looks to remain undefeated in conference play when they travel to Hamilton, N.Y. to face off against the last place Colgate Raiders which will conclude the Eagle road matchups until early November.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com