Field hockey dominates Holy Cross

The Eagles field hockey team remained undefeated at home, winning their third consecutive game at Jacobs Field on Sept. 21.

AU registered its first Patriot League victory over Holy Cross winning 4-0 with the AU defense holding the Crusaders without a shot in the second half.

Eagles’ (5-2, 1-0 PL) Junior midfielder Carly Atchison set the tempo by scoring the first goal in the 31st second of game. Atchison’s stick work allowed her to reach the striking circle untouched and score her third goal of the season.

AU controlled possession for the rest of the half, producing 11 shots while Holy Cross could only manage three. The Crusaders (2-3, 0-1 PL), also gathered three penalty corners in the first half but could not capitalize on the opportunity. AU’s other 3 goals would come in the second half.

A large part of AU’s success is attributed to the game plan by head coach Steve Jennings to “open up the field” and “connect more line, left to the right.”

The dynamic and difficult passing drew cheers from the bleachers, creating numerous scoring opportunities for the Eagles. Junior midfielder Rebecca Treharne moved up and down the field effortlessly with full control of the ball while fooling defenders.

AU dominated the second half as well. Holy Cross could not contain the offensive pressure and often fouled in the striking circle, allowing the Eagles to take a total of seven penalty corners. The Crusaders’ freshman goalkeeper Maya Langman almost equaled her season high save total of 13, facing 12 shots against the Eagles.

At 37:45, senior forward Jaclyn Anspach scored the second goal of the game off a penalty corner with an assist by junior midfielder Grace Wilson.

The Eagles kept the Crusaders on the defensive all game. Senior goalkeeper Stephanie Burry only had to make one save in the entirely of the game.

The third goal of the game off another penalty corner at 43:12. The goal was scored by Wilson, who leads the team in goals with four. Treharne was also credited with an assist.

Just under 13 minutes later, sophomore forward Katie Lonsky, who wasn’t in the starting lineup, scored the fourth and final goal of the game. Lonskey took advantage of scramble in front of the net for an unassisted goal.

All four AU goals came off quick breaks and tricky stick work.

AU has a quick turnaround with an out of conference matchup against No. 15 Wake Forest at Jacobs Field.