D.C. United lose to Chivas USA, 1-0

D.C. United was defeated 1-0 by Chivas USA Sept. 8 at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA.

Chivas USA star forward, rookie Erick Torres stole the show with the night’s only goal, extending D.C. United’s road loss streak to 14 games this season.

The most notable moment of the match for D.C. United (3-19-5, 14 Points) was the return of midfielder/forward Chris Pontius playing the final 25 minutes of the game. It was his first appearance since July 7.

Pontius was the leading scorer of D.C. United’s impressive 2012 campaign, which ended one win shy of reaching the MLS Cup Final.

Although most D.C. United fans have accepted that this will not be the team’s year, the loss to Chivas USA (6-15-7, 25 points) officially eliminated United from reaching the playoffs this season.

However, with the U.S. Open Cup final coming on Oct 1 in Sandy, UT against Real Salt Lake, the hope for silverware this season is still alive.

The black-and-red were the better side in the first half, although neither team asserted themselves and created any real, threatening chances.

United’s young forward Conor Doyle found himself with just the goalkeeper to beat on two separate occasions, in the 15th and 24th minutes, but couldn’t find the final move, failing to put the ball in the back of the net.

D.C. midfielder Lewis Neal, who was given the captain’s armband for the game, had a decent scoring chance, when he launched a long-range effort at Chivas goalie Dan Kennedy, but the shot skipped wide of the net.

Chivas USA looked completely different in the second half, turning the pressure on D.C. United and Erick “Cubo” Torres scored the winner in the 51st minute.

Following a scramble inside the penalty area, Chivas midfielder Edgar Mejia sent a cross back into the box, and after two unsuccessful efforts to clear the ball from United, Torres found himself on the ball and blasted it past D.C. keeper Bill Hamid.

Hamid kept D.C. United in the game, making an incredible one-handed save to deny midfielder Eric Avila a minute before Torres’s goal.

Torres now has five goals in his last four games, and despite only playing in nine of Chivas USA’s 28 league games, he is the team’s leading scorer with 7.

D.C United’s only real chance of the second half came in stoppage time, when Pontius found himself on a loose ball after a corner kick, only to miss the ball from about 8 yards out.

United return home to RFK Stadium to face the two-time defending champion Los Angeles Galaxy Saturday, Sept. 14 at 4 pm.