AU dropped its season opener to George Washington University.

Eagles fall in Hering’s coaching debut

Women's soccer team loses opening match

New women’s soccer head coach Anabel Jimenez Hering has already secured the honor of being a two time Eagle’s captain and being a part of the first AU team to win a Patriot League Championship.

However, the honor of winning her first game as head coach will have to wait.
The AU women’s soccer lost their opening match of the season 1-0 to George Washington University at Reeves Field Aug.23.

Hering’s coaching debut appeared to be going well as AU opened with a strong first half, which included numerous offensive pressures on GW. AU controlled the first 20 minutes of the game with three shots all off the foot of Eagle freshman Ashley Bonner. However, none found the back of the net.

The second half revealed a regrouped GW squad. The Colonels launched early shots with one coming from Kristi Abbate and another coming from Nicole Belfonti, but none made it in the net.
At the 68:50 mark, GW made what would later be the move of the game, subbing in Mackenzie Cowley for Lina Proska.

When AU keeper Charlene Belanger deflected a GW corner kick away, Cowley gained the loose ball and scored the first and only goal of the game.

The Eagles continued to find the equalizer with their best chance coming with 1:12 left in the game when Lindsay Muri’s shot went wide of the net.

Despite the low score, the Colonels led the Eagles in most statistical categories including shots 7-4, corner kicks 4-2, and saves 3-1.

Jimenez will look to secure her first victory as head coach of the Eagles when the team hosts University of Maryland-Baltimore County on Aug. 25 before heading out on a three-game road trip.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com