D.C. United falls short in Philly, loses 2-0 to Union

In front of a sellout crowd at PPL Park in Philadelphia, D.C. United was defeated 2-0 by the Union on Aug. 11.

Head Coach Ben Olsen rested many regulars as this was United’s third game in eight days.

Coming off their impressive midweek victory over the Chicago Fire in the U.S. Open Cup semi-final, United (3-16-4, 13 points) were left shorthanded, missing key players like Chris Pontius, Luis Silva and Nick DeLeon.

The modified D.C. lineup was the youngest in franchise history and their inexperience proved fatal. Philadelphia’s veteran forward Conor Casey was too much to handle, scoring both of the Union’s goals.

As the game progressed, the Union (10-7-7, 37 points) took control while United looked content to sit back and defend as their top offensive players sat on the bench. The black-and-red only managed to get one shot during the opening half, which was off target.

D.C. United was able to contain the heavy firepower of the Union successfully until the 35th minute.

Philadelphia defender Sheanon Williams launched a cross into the box, which Union forward Sebastien Le Toux re-directed toward Casey, who was able to find space between the United defense and put a shot past goalkeeper Bill Hamid.

Looking to spark some offense, coach Olsen brought on attacking midfielder and veteran Dwayne De Rosario for the second half, a helpful addition that caused some concern for the Union defense.

D.C. had a good chance of equalizing the score shortly after the second half began. In the 50th and 54th minute, United forward Conor Doyle shot the ball toward the goal after finding himself with just the goalkeeper to beat, but Union goalie Zac MacMath thwarted both attempts.

In the 58th minute, De Rosario initiated D.C. United’s best chance by weaving his way through the Union defense and allowing 18-year-old midfielder Collin Martin a shot at the goal.

Martin found himself on a loose ball with what he believed was an open goal after the entirety of the Union backline attacked De Rosario. However, Williams was able to get back and head the ball away.

On the same push, D.C. United midfielder Jared Jeffrey then got his foot on a rebound effort, but Union goalie MacMath was back in goal by that point and punched away the shot, solidifying the clean sheet.

Philadelphia sealed the victory in the 75th minute, when Union left-back Fabinho crossed the ball into the box and Casey was there to shoot it under the diving Hamid.

D.C. United will take on the fourth place Impact on Aug. 17 in Montreal before returning home to RFK Stadium on Aug. 24 to take on Toronto FC.