Former women\'s basketball head coach Matt Corkery watches a game from the sidelines.

Women's basketball head coach departs AU

After eight seasons at AU, five of which he served as head coach, Matt Corkery will depart the Eagles to become the associate head coach at Texas Tech University.

Texas Tech announced the hiring July 22. Corkery will work as an assistant under first year head coach Candice (Candi) Whitaker.

In a phone conversation with the Eagle, Corkery said the primary reason for taking the job was to be closer to family. Corkery is from Whitharral, a short distance from the Texas Tech campus in Lubbock.

"All my coaching stops to this point in my career have taken me further and further away from home," he said. "When it came right down to it, a chance to be closer to my family and be able involved in their day to day lives as well as coach basketball at a high level at a good program."

Corkery said his familiarity with Whitaker added to the appeal of the job.

"Our paths have crossed a lot and for us to have a chance for us to work together is exciting," Corkery said. Corkery recruited Whitaker out of high school.

This is not the first time Corkery will be transitioning from a head coach position to assistant coach. However, he does expect a bit of adjustment from head coach to assistant coach

During his time at AU, Corkery made history as the only coach to record a perfect 14-0 season in Patriot League play while also leading the team to a school record of 23 total wins in the regular season. Overall, Corkery was 101-53 in his career at AU along with a 54-16 record against Patriot League opponents.

"What stands out to me the most is not one specific thing but how the program grew," Corkery said when asked about how he will remember his time at AU. "Just to see it going from where it was to a program that is known for winning and being one of the best in the Patriot League means the most to me."

Even with school out of session, Corkery managed to speak with most of his players about how sorry he was that he would not be able to see them finish out their AU careers.

In regards to the head coach opening for the women's basketball team, Corkery said he would like to see one of his assistant coaches become the next head coach.

Director of Athletics and Recreation Billy Walker was not available to comment on the departure of Corkery or the search for the next head coach. ?

The departure of Corkery means that AU will begin the 2013-2014 year with four new head coaches who were not in their current positions one year earlier. ?

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com