Woman sexually assaulted near Greenberg Theater

Correction appended

A woman walking on Wisconsin Avenue shortly before midnight on Tuesday was sexually assaulted.

The suspect “approached her from behind, forced her behind a building and sexually assaulted her,” according to a crime alert issued by AU two days later.

The assault occurred on the 4200 block of Wisconsin Avenue near the Greenberg Theater, about a mile from AU’s campus.

The suspect was described as a 6 foot, 200 pound Hispanic man in his 30s with tattoos on both arms, the crime alert said. NBC Washington posted a sketch of the suspect.

The Metropolitan Police Department is looking for the suspect, who was last seen wearing “a black shirt with writing on the back,” according to the crime alert.

Safety tips recommended by the Department of Public Safety include: •never walk alone •avoid dark areas •be aware of your surroundings

Editor's note: Although one may follow these safety tips, rape is never the victim's fault. A survivor may call Public Safety at 202-885-3636 or seek outside sources such as the D.C. Rape Crisis Center at 202-333-7273 for help.

Any information on the suspect should be reported to MPD at 202-727-9099.

acohen@theeagleonline.com

Correction: A former version of this story referred to the location of the crime at 2400 block of Wisconsin Avenue instead of the corrected 4200 block.