Freshman survival guide

The Eagle's tips to make your transition to college as smooth as possible

It's that time of year. You've made your deposit, bought your bumper sticker and started shopping at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Freshman year is quickly approaching, and you're feeling a little overwhelmed. Try not to fret, The Eagle's collected a few tips that'll make your transition to college life a little easier.

What to do:

Get to know your floormates/roommates during Welcome Week.

Unless you switch rooms, these people will be your neighbors or will live with you all year. Get to know them: having friends on your floor is great and will save you from awkward elevator interactions.

Your research.

Before you even come to AU, research everything. What activities are you interested in? What professors in your intended major got great reviews from previous students? Who could be a great mentor in your program? There's no need to plan everything, but it's helpful to have an idea of what you want to do with your time here at AU.

Budget, budget, budget.

D.C. can burn a hole in your pocket if you're not careful. TDR (the nickname for the dining hall) gets old quickly and you'll soon end up at Whole Foods. Metro adds up, too. Clubbing? Forget it. Keep track of how much you're spending and maybe get a part-time job to help pay for expenses. Be smart and save where you can: the Eagle's Nest foot scrub can wait.

What not to do:

Stay on campus.

You're going to be living in D.C., so be sure to explore the city since you won't have any classes or other obligations for that first week. Go to U Street, eat Ethiopian food, and relax at Malcolm X/Meridian Hill Park. Sit on the Watergate steps with a friend and just enjoy the nice summer weather before it rains. Jog around the Tidal Basin when the cherry blossoms come out (if you can get around all the tourists). You live here now, so go explore!

Forget to add an activity that is outside of AU.

Get a volunteer gig or a part-time job. It'll help your career, increase your time management skills and help you feel like a true "DCist."

Forget to breathe.

It's no secret that college is stressful. You may find yourself writing a five-page paper and trying to complete a 100-page reading in the same night. Fights with your friends, hookups gone awry and that oh-so-needy professor can all add to your stress level. Resist feeling overwhelmed and find a quiet spot either on campus or in D.C. to relax. If that's not enough, be sure to check out AU's Counseling Center, which offers a variety of mental health resources.

acohen@theeagleonline.com