Bike lanes on New Mexico Avenue one step closer to completion

Neighborhood politicians advocate for road alterations, pushing the Department of Transportation to make the street biker-friendly.

Bike lanes on New Mexico Avenue, near AU’s main campus, may become a reality after a showing of local political support.

The Advisory Neighborhood Commission for Ward 3D, a group that can recommend public policy changes in the area, voted to support the construction of the lanes at a July 10 meeting.

The resolution, introduced by School of Public Affairs Senior and ANC 3D10 Commissioner Joe Wisniewski, passed by a vote of 5-4.

The ANC board recommended five feet for the bike lanes to help drivers merging from Westover Place, according to the resolution.

Wisniewski, who represents the Greenbriar, Berkshire and Avalon apartments, and School of Public Affairs junior Rory Slatko voted in favor of the resolution. Slatko is the ANC commissioner of Ward 3D07, which encompases students living in Anderson, Centennial, Leonard, Letts, Hughes and McDowell Halls.

However, some neighbors are concerned the five feet bike lanes will cause New Mexico Avenue to become congested, Wisniewski said.

“Currently New Mexico is like a parking lot without any parking lines,” Wisniewski said. “It’s a complete mess.”

hmongillio@theeagleonline.com