Steak 'n Egg may expand

Owners submit request to raze building

Osman & Joe's Steak 'n Egg Kitchen owners Osman Barrie and Joe Vamboi applied for a raze permit to be able to expand the restaurant, according to the company that owns the popular late-night restaurant near AU.

"One of the issues is the building is too small," said Frank Economides of 47th Avenue LLC, the company that owns Steak 'n Egg. "They] want to make a bigger Steak 'n Egg."

The raze permit request, filed through the D.C. Historic Preservation Office, would allow the company to tear down the current buildings for the renovation.

The company, which has owned Steak 'n Egg's property for around 10 years, applied for the permit June 10. The Historic Preservation office's response to the permit request was released to the public June 19. The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs has yet to confirm and "release the subject permit," according to D.C. documentation.

47th Avenue LLC bought two townhouses at 4702 and 4704 Wisconsin Ave., next to Steak 'n Egg, and applied for those to be razed as well, Economides said.

There will be meetings with the community, according to Economides.

Nothing is confirmed yet and the applications are still in the preliminary stages, Economides said.

"Everything is up for thoughts," he said. "These are all contemplated ideas."

acohen@theeagleonline.com