The Berkshire apartment complex down the street from AU closed its popular convenience store June 1.

Popular Berkshire convenience store closes despite protest

The Berkshire apartments' convenience store closed June 1, sparking protest from some residents and AU students.

An online petition created on Change.org called on residents to protest the Berkshire management's decision to close what is affectionately known as "the Berks store" and currently has more than 450 signatures as of June 1.

"The Berks store has been there for 27 years and its owners have created a lifestyle there," according to the Change.org petition created by AU graduate Laura Stephaich. "All the students at the Berkshire depend on the Berks store and even the community uses it frequently as there is a shortage of convenience stores around the area."

The petition calls on Berkshire apartment owners, real estate company Gables Residential, to halt renovations to the space now occupied by the Berks convenience store.

Gables Residential's corporate office and Stephaich did not return requests for comment.

Gables Residential plans on replacing the convenience store with a delicatessen, a small convenience store and a recreational area, according to the petition.

Supporters of the petition will protest the issuance of construction and demolition permits and boycott the new store, according to a copy of the petition taped in the entrance to the Berks convenience store.

Karen Lake has been a resident of the Berkshire since 2007 and says the Berks convenience store influenced her decision to move into the apartments.

"Most of the people that I have talked to, the older residents and the younger ones, have all said they are disappointed and will protest and have signed the petition and will boycott," Lake said.