Wagshal's opens on New Mexico Avenue

Wagshal's Deli opened a new location on New Mexico Avenue May 13, offering quick-service dining and fresh, local produce to AU students and the D.C. community.

Wagshal's on New Mexico, next door to Al Dente and Chef Geoff's, is a short walk away from campus.

The store is a hybrid between a restaurant and a fresh produce market. The restaurant section of Wagshal's has a gelato and sorbet station, a pickle bar, a hot bar, a bakery and a salad station where customers can get made-to-order salads.

Following the grand opening planned for July, Wagshal's will also be open for breakfast, according to Director of Operations Dagmawi "Doug" Abedje.

Brian Fuchs, partner and principal in Wagshal's operations, noted that the store had 85 percent of merchandise and items in stock. However, according to Fuchs, hours have extended due to customer demand.

"It's nice to have the neighborhood knocking on our door," Fuchs said.

All orders, except "ready-made" sandwiches, are made fresh. To reduce its environmental footprint, Wagshal's brines and pickles its own produce; cuts and prepares its own meat and charcuterie; and creates its own baked goods, gelato and sorbet.

The new Wagshal's location has bigger plans for local producers. The outdoor patio seating area will be converted into a farmer's market in the next month for three or four days a week, according to Abedje.

Though no decision has been made yet, Fuchs expressed interest in starting to accept Eagle Bucks at the new location before the fall semester starts.

The original Wagshal's Delicatessen and Wagshal's Market are located by the Washington College of Law's Spring Valley campus.

"We are very unique to the delis in the D.C. area, " said Abedje. "I mean, we are making our own stuff --- our own fresh gelato, our own half-smokes --- and I don't know where else you could find any of that."

Wagshal's is currently open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.