Asbestos cleanup underway in Letts Hall

Workers began to remove some piping insulation and floor tiles that contain asbestos in Letts Hall's southern half May 21, according to an official notice posted on the entrance to Letts May 17. The asbestos removal will be done by June 21.

The type of asbestos inside Letts Hall is not dangerous, according to Kelvin Richardson, project coordinator of capital renewal and deferred maintenance for Facilities Management.

Asbestos occurs naturally in rocks and soil and was used as an insulator, fire retardant and building material from the beginning of the 1900's, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Exposure to forms of airborne asbestos fibers increases one's likelihood of developing lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis, according to the EPA.

The full renovation of the interior of the southern half of Letts Hall will be completed by Aug. 9, according to Richardson.

ACM Services performed the same asbestos removal in the northern and central sections of Letts Hall during the summer of 2012, Richardson said. There were no complications, he said.

Currently, there are students living in the northern section of Letts Hall and Anderson Hall, according to Richardson. However, ACM Services is experienced with working in occupied buildings, he said.

The project is overseen at AU by Richardson and Phillip Brown, environmental health and safety project manager for Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety Services.

shogan@theeagleonline.com