University welcomes first new Panhellenic sorority in 20 years

Alpha Xi Delta will be the newest National Panhellenic Council social sorority to start at AU next year, according to Assistant Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Curtis Burrill.

The sorority is the newest NPC addition to the University since Chi Omega joined in 1993.

“This is really exciting,” Burrill said. “It’s a great opportunity for women who didn’t find a place within our current community to potentially be a part of Panhellenic as a founding member of an organization, which is a unique experience.”

Delegates from the current seven Panhellenic Council sororities voted on April 23 to bring in Alpha Xi Delta over Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Kappa. They also voted to bring Sigma Kappa within 3-5 years if Panhellenic sorority numbers reflect demand for another organization.

The decision caps a year-long process to put a new group on campus. Fifteen of the 19 NPC sororities not at AU applied to begin a chapter at AU in August, and the process costs each national chapter between $8,000 and $10,000, according to Burrill.

Outgoing President of the AU Panhellenic Council and School of Public Affairs senior Rachel Jones could not be reached for comment in time for publication.

dmitchell@theeagleonline.com