Student Activities director takes new job at Trinity University

UPDATE: April 4 at 3:12 p.m.

Director of Student Activities Karen Gerlach will leave AU at the end of the semester to become vice president for student affairs at Trinity University in Northeast D.C.

Gerlach has worked for Student Activities for almost 17 years. She became director of Student Activities nine years ago, according to the AU website. Her last official day will be May 8.

As an AU alumna, Gerlach plans to stay connected with the school. Gerlach hopes to continue teaching courses in the School of Education, Teaching and Health and keep in touch with students she has mentored through the university.

“I have enjoyed my time at American, and will miss so many aspects of the institution,” she said. “However, it is time for me to take this next step in my career.”

Scott Jones, director of University Center, recently left as well. Jones' last day at AU was April 1.

He is now senior director of the University Center at the Biscayne Bay campus of Florida International University.

Jones had recently come to AU from George Washington University, according to the AU website.

Despite the departure of two directors, University Center Senior Director Michael Elmore is not worried about the transition.

"With a change like this you have an opportunity to look at new ideas and new opportunities," he said.

Jones' position is not yet accepting applications, as it may be changed before the next school year, according to Elmore.

He hopes that the potential change will allow for more interaction with students within the department.

sgaber@theeagleonline.com