Quick Take: How can AU best address the spike in vandalism on campus?

Between the ongoing damage to Coke machines in the past two semesters and the March 1 theft of the Tolstoy bust outside of the Battelle-Tompkins building, the AU campus is experiencing a problem with vandalism. What steps can the AU administration take to both punish offenders and prevent additional incidents from happening in the future?

Marshall Bornemann

High-tech camera surveillance needed, but will heighten security expenses

Pete Bailey

Public Safety must set an example with punishments for perpetrators

Reza Lustig

Nothing can be done about vandalism

By Marshall Bornemann

With so many occurrences of vandalism happening around campus, it is not surprising that students, as well as faculty, want a plan put in place to stop them.

Whether or not they care, as students continue to witness devastation within the school's facilities, policies will undoubtedly become stricter in order to discourage inappropriate behavior. As if we are not already told often enough how important it is to maintain good relations with both the University and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Some have already suggested implementing better-equipped cameras to handle vandals, which is not a terrible place to start. Cameras currently in place seem ineffective in giving security officials fast access to real-time surveillance. Investing more in high-tech cameras on campus, particularly atop of high dollar projects, will prove useful in apprehending suspected offenders.