Interim head coach Emma Wallace led the Eagles to first win over a ranked team in over a decade.

Interim lacrosse head coach Wallace has Eagles making history

For AU women's lacrosse Coach Emma Wallace, lacrosse has always been an integral part of her life. And she has always set her sights high.

When Wallace took the reins, the AU lacrosse program was coming off of a 2012 season in which they went 7-10 overall and concluded the season with a loss to Navy in the Patriot League semifinals.

Despite high aspirations, Wallace's head coaching career at AU did not go as Wallace or the team had planned with six straight losses to open the year.

"The beginning of the season is what no team wants," Wallace said. "It was mentally draining for the girls, especially since five out of those six losses were close."

Wallace didn't give up treating every practice the same, preaching hard work and extra effort. She told her team to take these losses as an opportunity to learn and grow.

Wallace kept the team together, never letting her players get discouraged by the scoreboard or league standings. She understood that both the offense and the defense needed to play well in order to win, and she harped on this with her players.

"In order to win, you need both your offense and defense to play well at all times," Wallace said. "You can't have one do well and the other not. You have to be running on all cylinders at all times."

Wallace's coaching and words paid off.

Beginning on March 13 with a decisive win over Coastal Carolina, the Eagles got hot.

The Eagles entered April 2 with a five game win streak, which includes an incredible victory over No. 12 Johns Hopkins University. This marked the first time the Eagles had beaten a ranked team in over 10 years. The five consecutive victories is the longest AU win streak since 2007.

After a rocky start, Wallace's AU head coaching career is back on track. However, she says she can't take all of the credit herself.

"Emily [Maher] is one of our true athletes on the field," Wallace said. "She's stepping up for us this year. She doesn't only score goals, but she does the little things too, like get ground balls."

Wallace also credits the play of freshman goalie Teal Harrison, who has also stepped up in a big way this season.

"Teal is very athletic, smart, and fun to work with," Wallace said. "She's holding her own out there. In the past few games, something has clicked for her. I can tell she's gonna have a bright career as a lacrosse player."

In just her first season she has the Eagles in a position to make a deep run in the Patriot League Tournament and possibly get a bid to the NCAA Tournament, a feat that AU has only accomplished once in program existence, in 2003.

Wallace, after her team's statement win over Johns Hopkins, is used to making waves.

"Any given day, anything can happen," Wallace said. "As long as we work hard and prepare, I think we can go very far. I think we can it all the way to the Patriot League finals."

From her First Team All-American career at St. Andrew's High School in Delaware to her Johns Hopkins career in which her team reached three NCAA Tournaments, Wallace has experienced success on multiple levels.

It came as no surprise to many when she was offered coaching positions following her collegiate career.

Wallace began her coaching career as the varsity head coach at the Highland School in Warrenton, Va., and also as the head coach of the Upper Corner Lacrosse Club in northern Virginia. Following this stint, Wallace became the varsity head coach of the Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School in D.C.

In September 2011, she became an assistant coach at the University of California-Berkeley, where she served until June 2012. During this time, she also was the head coach of the BearLax Lacrosse Club in Berkeley, Calif.

When AU hired Wallace as an assistant coach in July 2012, previous Head Coach Laura Campbell and the team were optimistic.

"I am so happy to have Emma join our coaching staff and welcome her back to the East Coast," Campbell told AUEagles.com back in July 2012. "Her positive attitude, conscientious nature and desire for success will fit in very well with our program here at American."

Wallace was also excited about the opportunity to join AU's coaching staff. Little did she know, that she would be offered an even bigger opportunity just three months later.

In October 2012, Campbell decided to step down in order to spend more time with her husband and three small children back in Connecticut. Shortly after, Wallace was named interim head coach of the lacrosse team.

"[That October] was a crazy time," Wallace said. "But being a head coach has always been a part of my future plans. I wanted this job and this opportunity as soon as I got it."

With five games left in the regular season, the Eagles look to finish out this season strong behind the guidance of Wallace.