Axelrod calls for bipartisanship after Boston Marathon bombing

Only a few hours after bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon, former senior advisor to President Obama David Axelrod came to AU to discuss youth involvement in politics and opened his speech with a word of support for the victims of the bombings.

"I am a partisan, but days like this remind us that there are things that are larger than partisanship... on days like this there are no Republicans and Democrats, but just Americans," Axelrod said in a Kennedy Political Union-sponsored event in the Ward Circle Building.

The bombings at the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed at least three people and injured 176 more, according to the New York Times.

Despite the today's youth having lived through many terrorist attacks similar to the tragedy in Boston, Axelrod describes them as the most idealistic and determined generation since the sixties and encouraged students to become involved in the political sphere.

"I can't think of anything more important," he said of youth involvement in politics.

"We are going to be a better and stronger country if you young people take ownership of the system."

Axelrod is well-known for his work on both of Obama's presidential election campaigns as well as his position as former senior adviser to the president. Recently, Axelrod began the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago to promote more youth involvement in the public sphere.

"My mission is to encourage, involvement and engagement," he said. "I want to see young people in the political process in some form or fashion, because the more engaged the young are, the better off we are going to be."

Axelrod also credited the election of Obama and the rising acceptance of same-sex marriage in the United States to the youth vote and dedication.

"[Youth] have the opportunity to help move this country along, and [they] do," he said.

sgaber@theeagleonline.com