Tobacco-free policies begin to take shape

AU aims to release a draft of its tobacco-free policy by the end of the month, according to Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students Robert Hradsky.

While Hradsky confirmed the University still hopes to ban all forms of tobacco by Aug. 1, the implementation date will probably be Aug. 15, according to Student Government President Emily Yu.

“We’ve been benchmarking other schools and their specific policies,” Hradsky said. “We have been trying to address larger picture questions, so that’s been the focus to date.”

A March 1 memo sent to all members of the AU community asked for feedback on several questions about the specifics of the policy. The questions included whether possession of tobacco products would be prohibited, how the policy would be enforced and how violations would be punished.

Hradsky and Assistant Vice President of Human Resources Beth Muha are co-chairs of the Tobacco-Free Project Team. The faculty members and undergraduate representative on the team are responsible for writing the policy, with subcommittees focusing on communications, enforcement, facilities and grounds and health and wellness.

AU first decided to go tobacco-free in November, but student leaders such as Yu, Residence Hall Association President Fiona Erickson and Graduate Leadership Council Executive Chair Lauren Lane were skeptical, The Eagle previously reported. They argued that a University-wide ban was the wrong approach.

“Not only will the ban increase the risks to students’ personal safety at off-campus locations, but their forced migration will result in larger implications regarding the university’s reputation in the community,” the three officials said in a co-written letter at the time of the ban.

Yu said her views have changed slightly since the letter. The SG president is still in favor of designated smoking areas and “reasonable” enforcement of that policy, but said that she was more open to the policy after working with other members of the project team and further research on the subject.

“The university has already announced its intention to move forward with AU becoming tobacco-free,” Yu said in an e-mail. “At this point in process, I am dedicated to bringing student voices to the project team.”

dmitchell@theeagleonline.com