Students celebrate Dr. Seuss Day with community service

Around 70 AU students volunteered to read at local elementary schools on March 1 during the nationwide celebration of Dr. Seuss's birthday.

The Center for Community Engagement and Service organized the volunteer opportunity that catered to children between pre-kindergarten and third grade. The 70 student volunteers were divided between the Bruce Monroe, Powell and Brightwood elementary schools, according to Donald Curtis, coordinator of programs and operations at CCES.

Among the volunteers were members of the women's varsity soccer team, who participated at Bruce Monroe Elementary. The team split up into a dozen pairs and wore red-and-white Dr. Seuss hats while they read to their assigned classrooms. Stories read during the event included "The Cat and the Hat," "The Zax," "Green Eggs and Ham," "The Sneetches," "Oh The Places You'll Go!" and "The Lorax."

"He was shortish. And oldish. And brownish. And mossy. And he spoke with a voice that was sharpish and bossy," College of Arts and Sciences junior and varsity soccer player Brenna Smith read to a first-grade class."