Fluke, pictured here in April 2012, was thrown into the national spotlight when Rush Limbaugh accused her of being a \"slut\" and a \"prostitute.\"

Sandra Fluke to speak at AU

KPU, Women's Initiative event will be March 18th at 8:15 p.m.

Sandra Fluke, a women's rights activist, will speak at AU on March 18 at 8:15 p.m. in the University Club.

Women's Initiative and the Kennedy Political Union will host the event.

Fluke first became a women's rights activist as a law student at Georgetown University. She testified before Congress in 2012 to urge that free contraception be made available to college students around the country, The Eagle previously reported.

However, it was conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh's response to Fluke's views that shot her into overnight fame.

"What does that say about college coed Sandra Fluke, who essentially goes before Congress and says she must be paid to have sex...what does that make her?" Limbaugh asked on his radio show on Feb. 29, 2012. "It makes her a slut...it makes her a prostitute."

Despite the negative attention in the press, Fluke was able to turn her newfound media attention into a way to further her cause.

"I'm trying to make something good out of a bad situation," she said in an April 2012 interview with The Eagle.

Fluke has since spoken at the Democratic National Convention as well as college campuses around the country, including Kansas University and The University of New Hampshire law school. She also maintains a tumblr, where she responds to questions and anecdotes posted by her followers.

sgaber@theeagleonline.com