Northside water shut off after sewage line break

Construction workers struck a sewage pipe while working on Cassell Hall steam line

Correction appended

The University temporarily turned off Northside's water after the Cassell Hall construction crew struck a sewage pipe in the amphitheater on March 22. The pipes released no hazardous material, and the Northside drinking water was not contaminated, according to Construction Manager Tony Esse.

Esse notified Housing and Dining about the accident immediately after it occurred at 11 a.m., he said. However, it did not become evident until 1 p.m. that the Northside water would need to be turned off to repair the pipe, Esse said.

Housing and Dining staff alerted students of the broken sewage pipe through social media and posters around 1 p.m., Associate Director of Residential Facilities Sophia Benedicktus said. Then, the water to Leonard, Hughes and McDowell Halls as well as President's Office was shut off at 2 p.m. for about an hour and a half, she said.

Residents in the Northside dorms could not use the kitchen faucets or bathrooms during that time.

The pipe is now fully repaired, Esse said. Water was restored to the affected buildings by 3:40 p.m.

When the accident occurred, members of the construction crew were working on a steam line project that will generate heat for Cassell Hall, Esse said.

Crews will be working in the same area as the accident next week, he said.

"There is no possible hazardous material [in the water]," Esse said. "No danger."

Eagle Staff Writer Heather Mongilio contributed to this report.

Correction: This article previously misstated Benedicktus's name and position.

shogan@theeagleonline.com