New law mandates University to release stalking, dating violence information

The new Violence Against Women Act, signed by U.S. President Barack Obama on March 7, will require AU to report dating violence, stalking and sexual assault in the annual crime report.

One of VAWA’s components is the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act, or Campus SaVE, which will set standards for sexual assault prevention education and reporting standards for colleges.

Currently, the Clery Act of 1965 mandates that sexual assault statistics on college campuses are reported, but does not require statistics on dating violence and stalking.

“Stalking is a crime that gets very little attention despite being very dangerous,” said Daniel Rappaport, the University’s sexual assault prevention coordinator. “It is far more prevalent than our culture admits.”

Campus SaVE also requires that colleges provide awareness programs for new students.

The University already provides an educational sexual assault prevention program for new students during Eagle Summit, The Eagle previously reported.

Similarly, the Green Dot program works to stop gender-based violence. The program trains students, faculty and staff members to advance campus safety, The Eagle previously reported.

Additionally, the Act requires colleges to offer students or employees who are victims of abuse a change in housing or work environment. AU Housing and Dining already offers students the option to change housing if they do not feel safe in their dorm, according to Rappaport.

It is unclear how much of an effect the Act will have on the University’s current policies, Rappaport said.

“We may revamp everything, we may revamp nothing,” Rappaport said.

tdalcourt@theeagleonline.com