Eagle lacrosse extends win streak to four with upset over No. 12 Johns Hopkins

The AU women’s lacrosse team (4-6, 2-0 PL) upset No. 12 Johns Hopkins (6-4, 0-1 ALC) 10-9 with a goal in the final seconds of overtime on March 27 at Jacobs Field.

After losing its first six games of the season, AU’s win streak now stands at four.

With only eight seconds remaining in OT, sophomore Jordan Harrington found the back of the net for her only goal of the game. This gave AU its first victory over a nationally-ranked team in over 10 years.

“We believe in ourselves,” AU lacrosse Head Coach Emma Wallace said last week. “People may look at our record and make judgments and doubt us, but we know exactly what we’re capable of.”

Alex Lugovina and Samantha Marshall led AU with three goals apiece, while Kimberly Collins added two goals. Goalie Teal Harrison led both teams with 10 saves.

For Johns Hopkins, Jen Cook led the way with a hat trick. Taylor D’Amore added two assists for the Blue Jays, who held a 29-17 edge in shots on goal and a 12-11 edge in draw controls.

The game started out well for the Eagles, who traded goals with Johns Hopkins in the first 15 minutes of the half. However, the Blue Jays went on a 4-0 run after that, and AU found itself in a 7-2 hole at the end of the first half.

AU exploded out of the second half, going on a 4-0 tear and bringing themselves with 1 of Johns Hopkins. Collins scored with 57 seconds left in the game to tie it at 8-8 and sending play into overtime. Cook scored first in OT, but Collins answered with a goal of her own. Soon after, Harrington came in with the winning goal.

The Eagles’ next matchup is March 30 at 2 p.m. against Bucknell University (1-9, 0-3 PL) for the 2013 Phil Bender Lax Blowout at Jacobs Field. If AU wins, it will be tied for first place in the Patriot League.