Zimmerman leads AU to dominant win over Colgate

The AU women’s basketball team (13-9, 6-2 PL) knocked off Colgate (6-17, 0-8 PL) 69-44 Feb. 9, getting off to a hot start and never taking their foot off of the gas pedal.

Center Stephanie Anya led the way for AU with a game-high 14 points. The senior shot a perfect 4-for-4 from the floor and made 6-of-7 free throw attempts. Two Eagles, Geleisa George and Arron Zimmerman, matched their career highs in points with 13 each. Sarah Kiely led the team in rebounding with 10, and Alexis Dobbs led the team in the assist and steal category with 4 of each.

“Steph posted up strong.” Head Coach Matt Corkery said after the game. “One of the things she’s been focusing on is having great balance and scoring through contact. She’s working really hard and getting great position down low."

Forward Josie Stockill led the way for Colgate with 10 points. The Raiders, who are now on a 10-game losing streak, struggled throughout the game and shot a mere 31 percent from the floor. The Eagles held Colgate’s best scorer, guard Jhazmine Lynch, scoreless in the game.

“I think we did a nice job guarding Lynch, their best player.” Corkery said. “We did a nice job 1-on-1 guarding her, but also with team defense as well. It all started with having a good effort. I think that everyone that came in and got time was focused on getting stops.”

Following the win, Corkery is one win away from 100 in his career. If the Eagles win their next match-up, Corkery would become the fastest coach in Patriot League history to achieve the feat.

AU returns to action at home against a struggling Lehigh (10-12, 2-5 PL) on Feb. 13 at 7 p.m., where Corkery will try for his historic win.