SIS houses foundation supporting study abroad in China

The School of International Service now houses the 100,000 Strong Foundation, which aims to encourage more students to study abroad in China.

The foundation needed a home after it became an entity independent of the government, SIS Dean James Goldgeier, who serves on the foundation’s advisory council, said.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced the establishment of the organization at the State Department last month.

“We hope by having 100,000 Strong here, it will help American University become more visible in China and that it will increase opportunities for our students,” Goldgeier said.

100,000 Strong aims to strengthen ties between the two countries and reduce the gap in students who study abroad in each country.

Twelve times as many Chinese students study in the U.S. as American students study in China, according to the foundation’s website.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaragoisa and hip-hop artist will.i.am announced in a press release last week that the organization would be donating $100,000 to send at least 10 students to China over the next two years.

dmitchell@theeagleonline.com