SG committee to explore University investments

Student Government will form a committee to investigate where students’ tuition dollars are going, according to Class of 2013 Sen. Eric Reath.

The SG Committee on Socially Responsible Investing will review the University’s investments and how those investments reflect students’ values, Reath said. SG Comptroller Joe Ste.Marie will head the committee, which will make recommendations for sustainability and social responsibility to the Board of Trustees, according to the bill.

SG also plans to push for a University-wide committee, in addition to the SG committee, so students can participate, according to the bill.

The committee plans to research the University’s investments in order to ensure student groups’, such as CAUS and “Fossil Free AU,” concerns with the University’s current endowment are addressed, according to the bill.

This committee is a way for senior SG senators to continue fighting for student involvement in the Board of Trustees’ decisions, former SG president and Class of 2013 Sen. Sarah McBride said.

“The fact that this is a bill before us, the fact that it’s passed and then signed . . . shows the University and the Board of Trustees that our issues don’t go away,” she said.

KSCHNECK@theeagleonline.com