Man locks himself in University dark room

A man locked himself inside the University darkroom in the Mary Graydon Center on Feb. 6 and was later apprehended by Public Safety, according to the Manager of Photographic Services Kaitlin Whitman.

Public Safety banned the man from campus on the Quad, said Maralee Csellar, associate director of media relations, in an email to The Eagle.

The man had entered and locked himself in the the photography lab, Whitman said.

The man wore bright blue and yellow clothing and had a dollar bill tattoo under his eye, Andrew Dean, a senior in the School of Communication and photography lab staff member, said. The man was African-American, about 5-feet-6-inches and in his 20s.

The man peered into rooms and looked lost, Dean said. Then, Dean heard a door shut when he turned the corner to go into the photography office. Afterward, Dean told Whitman a suspicious man was in the darkroom, and Whitman went to check the darkroom.

The door to the darkroom was locked when Whitman reached it, she said. When she unlocked the door the man was inside, Whitman said.

“He claimed to be from Howard University and said he was looking for a film lecture or a class,” Whitman said.

The man left the darkroom after he was approached. Whitman called Public Safety and officers apprehended the man on-campus around 3:45 p.m., she said.