A student snapped this picture of a chair on fire in the LA Quad on Feb. 7 at 9:56 p.m.

Crime Alert: Malicious burning on the LA Quad

From the Department of Public Safety

Two (2) individuals set a chair ablaze Feb. 7 at approximately 10 p.m. on the Letts/Anderson Quad.

AU Public Safety officers extinguished the blaze upon arrival on the scene.

No injuries were reported.

The Department of Public Safety is investigating this incident.

Both suspects are described as male, wearing blue jeans and blue sweaters. One suspect is approximately 5’8”, the other approximately 6’2”.

Make a confidential tip through the Department of Public Safety webpage.

If you have information relating to this incident, or witness suspicious activity, please call the Department of Public Safety at 202-885-3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) or the District of Columbia Fire Department (DCFD).

Safety Tips

• All occupants are required to evacuate the building immediately when a fire alarm sounds or some other evacuation signal is present.

• Keep calm.

• Use the nearest exit to leave the building.

• Use the stairwell only (hold on to hand rails).

• Do not use elevators.

• Person(s) with disabilities should be assisted to the stairwell landing. Request assistance from D.C. Fire Department personnel and direct them to the area where the disabled person(s) is waiting.

• Never attempt to travel through smoke-filled or other imminently hazardous areas.

• If you encounter smoke in the stairwells, close the door and use a different exit.

• Do not return to the evacuated building unless you are told to do so by AU Public Safety or D.C. Fire Department.

General Tips

• Program AU Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies: 202-885-3636.

• The Department of Public Safety provides escorts, twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week, for community members to and from university owned property. To arrange for an escort, call 202-885-2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.

The American University Department of Public Safety (AUDPS) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to AUDPS or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a continuing threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to AUDPS from MPD. Community members are encouraged to report external incidents to AUDPS to assist in the effective implementation of this program.

If you would like a copy of this alert, please click here.