“Bud” Burkhard remembered for dedication to University

Fred “Bud” Burkhard, special assistant to the provost, passed away from a heart attack on Feb. 7 at the age of 56. Burkhard had been working in that position for over two years, according to Vice Provost Violetta Ettle.

Burkhard was a hard-working member of the administrative team. He had 25 years of experience in academia and a Ph.D. in history, Ettle said. His assignments mainly consisted of academic research and writing for University projects, policy development and regulation of compliance with governmental mandates.

“He never once complained of being overworked,” she said. “He welcomed every new assignment I gave him and was always glad to help everyone professionally or personally.”

Burkhard’s loss was mourned by the whole office, Ettle said.

According to a memo sent out to the AU community, Burkhard’s funeral services were held on Feb. 10 at Haight Funeral Home & Chapel in Sykesville, Maryland. Burkhard leaves behind his wife Jeannine Lafiner and two daughters.

“Bud contributed meaningfully to the academic administration at AU,” Ettle said in the memo. “His dedication, selflessness, compassion, and wit will be dearly missed by his colleagues and friends.”