Women’s basketball ends Army’s conference winning streak, 45-42

The AU women’s basketball team (11-8, 4-1 PL) edged The United States Military Academy (15-5, 4-1 PL) 45-42 at Bender Jan.26, handing the Black Knights their first Patriot League loss of the season.

Despite the team shooting under 33 percent from the floor, the Eagles’ defense stepped up down the stretch, holding top Army scorers Kelsey Minato and Anna Simmers to a total of 14 points.

“I think our defense played well and our press was able to slow down their offense,” AU Head Coach Matt Corkery said. “This made them have to shoot later in the shot clock, allowing our defense to pressure those guys and make stops.”

Junior Alexis Dobbs led AU with a game-high 12 points to go along with 3 assists. Although the Eagles shot poorly in the game, Dobbs had two key trips to the free-throw line in the game’s final two minutes to secure a victory.

“Our free throws at the end of the game were definitely huge,” Dobbs said. “Being able to get those free points with the clock stopped is how you win close games.”

When asked if her three-point shot at the end of the first half was the difference in the game, Dobbs said, “Every point counts in close games. I’m just happy my shot went in.”

The teams went back and forth on the scoreboard throughout the game, playing out a classic defensive battle. AU led most of the game and dodged a bullet as Army missed its final two shot attempts in the game’s final 10 seconds.

“Every game is huge when you get down to this point in the season,” Corkery said. “We have to keep winning games like this and take it one step at a time.”

For the Black Knights, Kelsey Minato and Olivia Schretzman led the team with 12 points each. However, Army’s bench was outscored 24-4 in the game and were unable to stop back-up guard Geleisa George, who led all bench scorers with 10 points.

“I think she’s one of the best players in the league,” Corkery said. “She was able to get to the basket a lot and she proved today why she gets the minutes she does.”

AU will play at Bucknell University on Jan. 30 at 7 p.m., where they will battle the Bison for second place in the Patriot League.