SIS creates online graduate degree program

The School of International Service and the company 2U, an online education provider, have partnered to create an online international relations masters program.

SIS pursued an online graduate degree because they think more students will be interested as it provides flexibility with a career, family obligations and location, according to SIS Dean James Goldgeier.

"2U is really on the cutting edge of companies that provide a high quality technology platform for delivering educational content,” Goldgeier said.

2U was founded in 2008 and has partnered with eight different schools, each specializing in a different subject field from law to health.

Starting in May 2013, graduate students enrolled in the program will participate in weekly online classes where they will receive face-to-face interaction with SIS faculty through 2U’s online program. Class sizes will be about 15 students, according to a University press release.

Students will be able to earn a masters of arts in international relations in the same amount of time as a student earning the degree on campus.

Total cost of enrollment will also be the same amount that students earning the degree on campus pay. This past summer 2U and AU signed a contract to create the degree. They began working on the logistics of the program during the fall semester, according to Goldgeier.

smurphy@theeagleonline.com