SG reform stalled

Student Government moved the constitution reform referendum vote back after the Board of Elections postponed the campaigns for and against the reform on Jan. 25 and two BOE members resigned on Jan. 26.

The SG constitution referendum vote will now be held between Feb. 11 and Feb. 12, according to Class of 2013 Sen. Brett Atanasio.

“Without a functioning Student Government website or a quorum [minimum number of necessary members] of the Board of Elections, we recognize that a fair and free election process cannot be held at this time,” Board of Elections Chairwoman Chloe Profit said in a press release.

The decision to postpone the referendum comes two days after the Board of Elections put “AU for SA” campaign representative and SG Comptroller Joe Ste.Marie on trial Jan. 24 for seeking an endorsement from the AU College Democrats before campaigning officially began, according to Board of Elections member Alex Hitchcock.

“AU for SA” is a group of students advocating for the passage of a constitutional reform to turn the Student Government into the Student Association.

Ste.Marie, who had approached AU Dems on Jan. 20, was found not responsible and cleared of all campaign violation charges, according to the BOE decision statement.

Campaigning will resume Feb. 4 through Feb. 11, Atanasio said. The town hall meeting scheduled for Jan. 31 in MGC 200 will still take place, according to SG Secretary Kevin Sutherland.

Elected officials unexpectedly resigns

Referendum voting dates changed after two BOE members, John Bitetto and Teddy McCullough, resigned on Jan. 26, according to SG Communications Director Rosemary Cipriano. Starting early Friday morning, Members Alex Hitchcock and Mike Morgante are taking leaves from the board until Feb. 2 and 3, respectively.

Only three members remain on the board, but a minimum of five members is needed to run the constitution reform vote and spring elections, according to Profit.

Members of the Board’s Appellate Panel, which is the panel that appeals against a BOE decision, resigned, Ste.Marie said. The positions on the panel have yet to be filled, according to Profit.

The new referendum vote schedule will not affect the spring elections, according to Atanasio.

kschneck@theeagleonline.com