Founders' Day Ball to be at Smithsonian's National Museum of American History

SG will only give out tickets in person to prevent repeat of shortage last year

The 2013 Founders’ Day Ball will be held in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, according to a Jan. 24 press release from Student Government.

Entry to the ball, which is scheduled for Feb. 23 from 8 to 11 p.m., will require a pass. Passes will be distributed for free by SG beginning on Feb. 4 in front of the campus bookstore, and there are roughly 1,200 passes available, according to Abigail Finn, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and director of Founders' Week. Distribution will continue until Feb. 8, and then will resume from Feb. 11 to 15 at a rate of 100 passes per day.

Last year, all tickets for Founders’ Day were claimed within 90 seconds, prompting SG to provide more later on. This year, the passes are being provided in person to avoid that problem, Finn said in an email to The Eagle.

The museum is in close proximity to the Metro system, which will make it convenient for students to attend, Finn said. The museum is located at the intersection of 14th Street and Constitution Avenue in Northwest D.C.

Additional information on the ball will be included in a forthcoming email from SG, according to an email from SG Vice President Palak Gosar.

The previous ball at the Library of Congress Jefferson Building had a total of 850 available passes because it was a smaller venue, according to Finn.

"We are expecting full attendance this year," Finn said. "The whole museum is going to be open. All the galleries, all the exhibits will be open. This year, we're able to utilize all three floors of the museum."

jangle@theeagleonline.com