Alumni discuss politics at inauguration party

An inauguration celebration brought alumni, faculty and students to the Katzen Art Center on Jan. 19 in an event hosted by the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, the Office of Student Activities and the University Library.

A keynote panel called “Gridlock on the Hill: How Congress Will Work with the President,” moderated by School of Public Affairs distinguished professor Jim Thurber, featured AU President Neil Kerwin and former congresswoman and ambassador Connie Morella discussed how President Barack Obama will work with Congress in his second term.

Three panels, featuring alumni, were titled “The Future of Obamacare,” “The Challenge of Tax Reform” and “The Future of Foreign Policy,” according to the AU Alumni website.

An estimated 200 people attended the event, according to Director of Alumni Programs Tara Lang.

The event hosted five panels focusing on Obama’s first term and expectations for his second term.

A student-led panel, run by ATV, featured speakers from College Republicans, College Democrats and Student Government.

The celebration ended around 7 p.m. with a cocktail reception, according to the alumni website.

“We were thrilled with the event overall,” Lang said in an email. “The panel topics were compelling, and our moderators and panelists were true experts in their fields.”