Students campaigned to keep same-sex marriage legal in Washington state

AU students campaigned for the continuation of same-sex marriage in Washington state.

Washington residents voted in favor of a referendum approving the legislation passed earlier this year that allowed same-sex couples to marry in Tuesday’s election.

Students ran a phone-bank to remind Washington voters to mail in their ballots and spoke with residents about this referendum, known as Referendum 74, according to School of Public Affairs senior Stephen Bronskill, who is a Seattle resident.

All of Washington’s residents vote by mail-in ballots.

Student callers clarified to Washington residents that voting “yes” approved the legislation, Bronskill said. They made about 2,970 calls to Washington voters, he said.

Students focused on calling youth voters between the ages of 18 and 29, according to SPA junior Tyler Sadonis, who interned at the Seattle-based Washington Bus, a nonprofit that advocates for political participation by youth voters.

There is low voter turnout from the youth populations because this demographic is not usually contacted during campaigns, Bronskill said.

Phone banking can be the little reminder that gets people out to vote, and same-sex marriage is an issue young people can support, Bronskill said

Similar same-sex marriage legislation also passed in Maryland and Maine, and Minnesota voted down a referendum that would have banned same-sex marriage.

“It is cool to be in the most politically active school,” Bronskill said. “We are really excited that we are in a position to make a difference.”

shogan@theeagleonline.com