CAUS rally canceled due to hurricane

The Coalition of American University Students (CAUS) cancelled a nighttime rally planned for Oct. 30 due to Hurricane Sandy.

The rally, originally planned for 10:45 p.m. in the amphitheater, would have been the third CAUS rally this semester. It has been rescheduled to Nov. 7 in the same location, according to CAUS member Chris Litchfield, a senior in the School of Public Affairs.

The third rally will be held to protest AU President Neil Kerwin’s response to an earlier petition demanding a tuition freeze, which was deemed inadequate by CAUS.

Kerwin wrote to CAUS several hours after their second rally on Oct. 26, according to CAUS member Zach Moore.

Kerwin emphasized to CAUS that the University is shifting more funds to need-based funds to address tuition concerns and “to create socio-economic diversity on campus,” according to his letter obtained by The Eagle.

“While we do not have current plans to ‘freeze’ tuition rates, we share your concerns about the costs of higher education and our commitment to ensure the quality of an AU education, the value of your degrees and the well being of all students, faculty and staff,” Kerwin wrote.

Moore said CAUS will continue campaigning for a tuition freeze and plans to publicly release their formal response later this week.

“This response did nothing to address the demands of our petition,” Moore said in an email. “Instead, the president briefly summarized the budgetary process and condescendingly thanked the CAUS for its interest.”

Oct. 26 rally

Approximately 50 CAUS members chanted and carried signs around campus on Oct. 26 before 17 students delivered a large sign and letter to Vice President of Campus Life Gail Hanson.

“We came here today asking for a response to our demands,” the letter read. “We expected a response by last night. We will not be silenced until you give us a direct response to our concerns.”

Litchfield said the Oct. 26 rally was held as a follow-up to an earlier rally on Oct. 20 because Kerwin had not yet responded to their petition for a tuition freeze.

CAUS has not received a response from Hanson, as University offices have been closed due to Hurricane Sandy, Moore said.

Eagle Staff Writers Heather Mongilio and Zach C. Cohen contributed to this report.