A Toyota Yaris, right and foreground, and an AU shuttle, left and background, collided at around 11:20 p.m. on Oct. 2.

Students sustain minor injuries in shuttle crash

AU shuttle collides with car on Nebraska Avenue

Update: Oct. 3 at 1:12 p.m.

Neither the shuttle driver nor the Toyota driver disclosed any injuries to MPD at the time of the accident, according to Maralee Csellar, associate director of media relations.

"MPD determined that the accident was caused by the driver of the Toyota failing to yield and improper turning," she said.

Original story

A shuttle crashed on Nebraska Avenue at around 11:20 p.m. on Oct. 2 outside of the Katzen Arts Center and Nebraska Hall.

About six or seven students were on the shuttle at the time. Students on the shuttle told The Eagle that there were only minor injuries.

One student, sitting by the curbside window, was cut by glass when the window shattered. He was thrown across the aisle and had minor cuts on his hands, according to Chakriya Srey, a sophomore in the School of International Service and a passenger on the shuttle who witnessed the window shattering.

Srey had two minor cuts on her legs from the same glass because she was sitting on the left side of the shuttle. She did not go to the hospital despite the Department of Public Safety’s recommendations that she do so, she said.

Srey called Public Safety at 11:21 p.m. By the time The Eagle arrived on the scene around midnight, Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department were there.

One student who was on the sidewalk when the collision happened said he thought he was hit by the shuttle. He was holding a frozen bag of vegetables to his head as he talked in a groggy voice to MPD. He was then led to an ambulance on the scene and walked away about an hour and a half later.

The bus was turning from Nebraska Avenue onto Ward Circle from Tenleytown on a foggy night. It’s unclear how the crash happened, but a silver Toyota Yaris was also involved in the collision. The two-door car was dented on right side.

The shuttle’s front fender was also partially ripped off.

“They are trying to figure out if the bus hit the car or the car hit the bus,” said Nick Blake, a junior in SIS and a passenger on the shuttle.

The Eagle could not confirm if the drivers in either vehicle were injured.

MPD and Public Safety declined to comment immediately on the incident.

An AU shuttle crashed into a telephone pole on Oct. 31, 2010, The Eagle previously reported. The driver sustained minor injuries and was the only person in the shuttle.

Eagle Staff Writers Zach C. Cohen and Alex Greco contributed to this report.

shogan@theeagleonline.com