Thursday, May 2, 2024

Student apathy could slow new SG constitution ratification

The Student Government Judicial Board ruled on Oct. 21 that a special election must be held to ratify the new constitution. The new governing body, the AU Student Association, would replace SG if students approve its constitution.

One-third of the undergraduate student body must vote for the election to be valid, according to Judicial Board Chair James DeLucia. Of those voting students, two-thirds must vote in favor of a new constitution to ratify it.

Almost 2,000 students, roughly 28 percent of the student body, voted in the spring 2012 elections, the board’s decision said.

SG plans to hold the special election sometime between late January and early February, SG Comptroller Joe Ste.Marie said. SG wants to ensure students have time to understand the new constitution and provide their input.

But Sen. Eric Reath, representing the class of 2013, said one-third of the student body has never voted in a SG election.

“It’ll be infinitely more difficult for [students] to have a say in trying to change the governing documents, so it becomes impossible for any student to make real change,” said Reath, who stepped down as SG comptroller Sept. 2. “Every student reserves the right to change how we operate.”

sraphelson@theeagleonline.com