Hughes Hall women’s bathroom closed for four days

The women’s bathroom on the fifth floor of Hughes Hall closed for four days due to flooding.

A burst of pipes shut down the bathroom from Sept. 21 to 24, according to the Hughes Hall fifth floor residents. 2fix staff said there was not a specific complaint about the bathroom on their records.

A request was sent in to 2fix on Sept. 21, citing a broken toilet in the third stall. The complaint was acted on within the same day, according to 2fix staff.

“One of the stalls didn’t work all year, one had been temperamental, and the pipe of another broke when they were trying to fix it,” Emily Cairns said, a resident on the fifth floor of Hughes Hall and freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.

CAS freshmen and fifth floor resident Hannah Ehlers said the women found other ways to cope with the bathroom’s closure.

“We adapted pretty quickly,” she said. “We used the boys’ bathroom and went to other floors.”

The floor’s resident assistant said the women could not use the men’s restroom until all the male residents on the floor gave permission, Ehlers said.

But the men were quick to help.

“There are only thirteen of us on the floor, so it’s empty most of the time anyways,” said Mark Behringer, a freshmen in the School of Public Affairs and fifth floor resident.

Cairns said the closure of the women’s bathroom did not have a huge impact on the Hughes Hall fifth floor women.

“It was a little inconvenient and a little hard to get used to,” she said.