Campus groups emphasize disability rights

The Disability Rights Coalition promoted awareness for disabilities and disability rights at their event “Indivisible” by handing out pamphlets and talking to the AU community on Sept. 26 on the Quad.

“Indivisible” was the coalition’s first event of the year, said Allie Cannington, president of the Disability Rights Coalition and a junior in the School of Public Affairs.

The club is trying to raise awareness of the diversity of disabilities since many people only think of visible ones such as being in a wheelchair, Cannington said. However, “invisible” disabilities exist, including learning, developmental and mental disabilities.

The “Indivisible” event also provided information to students with disabilities regarding the resources available to them on and off campus, said Laura Bruns, the director of events for the coalition and an SPA sophomore.

“Disabilities are a civil rights issue and they are not always recognized,” said Zach Baldwin, the communications director for the Disability Rights Coalition and a junior in SPA and College of Arts and Science.

This is the first debut of “Indivisible” at AU, but the coalition was founded last year.

The Disability Rights Coalition invited multiple multicultural organizations on campus to sponsor or table the event to show how disabilities impact all races, cultures and genders, Cannington said.

The campus organizations and offices present at the event included:

• Black Student Alliance

• Women’s Initiative

• Center for Diversity and Inclusion

• Disability Support Services

• Counseling Center

Cannington said the club intends to be more active in October, which is National Disability Employment Awareness Month. It is a national campaign intended to raise awareness about the employment difficulties that many people with disabilities face, as well as to celebrate the positive contributions of workers with disabilities in America, according to the Department of Labor’s website.