AU alum steps in as new community relations director

An AU alumnus who works for a D.C. councilmember will start as AU’s new director of community relations on Nov. 7.

School of Public Affairs ‘07 graduate Andrew Huff currently works for Jack Evans, one of 13 members of the D.C. Council.

Penny Pagano previously served in the position as the chief representative of the University to neighbors on matters like the Campus Plan and off-campus students.

“As the Director of Community Relations, I’ll be working with the University and the surrounding neighborhoods to help ensure there are strong and productive relations between the two,” Huff said in an email.

Pagano, an AU graduate, retired from the position in June after serving since 2008, according to Linda Argo, assistant vice president of external relations and strategic initiatives.

“She did a super job working with the community and AU on the Campus Plan,” Argo said. “She set the framework for the position and paved the way for future directors of community relations.”

The position had remained vacant before Pagano came in, she said.

“I was hired to reinstitute the office and work with the community,” she said.

Pagano served as chief of staff for former D.C. councilmember Kathy Patterson as well before taking over this position, according to AU’s website.

Evans’ office did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Huff said he hopes to focus on rebuilding relationships with neighborhood residents, which may have been harmed during the recent Campus Plan process.

Huff’s expertise as a communications specialist will help him in his new position, Argo said.

“We are delighted to have him,” she said.