Anti-Coca-Cola vandals break on-campus vending machines

Editor's Note: A picture of one of the vending machines, spray painted with profane language, can be found at the bottom of this report.

Multiple Coca-Cola vending machines were vandalized on campus on Oct. 18.

The damage includes cut power cords and use of white spray paint or “some kind of glue,” Dave Courter, director of Auxiliary Services said. One vending machine’s dollar bill reader in Bender Arena was also broken.

Flyers with the words,  “Unthinkable! Undrinkable! Campaign to stop killer Coke” were also posted on the machines.

The University has unplugged the machines, turned them sideways and covered them with black paper on Oct. 14, Courter said.

Vandalized machines were located in the lower level of Ward Circle Building, the second floor of Mary Graydon Center and Bender Arena. None of the machines in the residence halls were vandalized.

The vandalism was reported to the Department of Public Safety on Oct. 18, according to Maralee Csellar, association director of Media Relations. Auxiliary Services reported more vandalized machines to Public Safety on Oct. 19, Courter said.

The damages were reported to Coca-Cola, Courter said. It is unclear if the machines can be fixed at AU or if they will have to be taken to a Coca-Cola facility, he said.

Coca-Cola will pay for the repairs, Courter said.

“It bothers us that, regardless of the cause, [individuals] chose to further their cause by damaging property,” Courter said.

Public Safety said no suspects have been identified as of Oct. 24 and declined to comment because the investigation is ongoing.

Eagle Contributing Writer Peter Seremetis contributed to this report.

A vending machine in Ward Circle Building.

PETER SEREMETIS / THE EAGLE

shogan@theeagleonline.com