TDR sustainability effort delayed by box shortage

The Terrace Dining Room ran out of reusable boxes during the first week of classes. Disposable, cardboard boxes replaced the reusable boxes during this time, according to Café Bon Appetit cook Phyllis Wood.

TDR received more the reusable boxes the week of Sept. 3 since it receives new shipments every Thursday.

The reusable to-go box system requires students to buy a reusable box for $5. It must be washed after use and returned to TDR’s cleaning conveyor belt for sanitizing. A new box is given and the old box is returned when they leave.

Implementing the use of reusable boxes at TDR is a joint effort of AU and Cafe Bon Appetit’s sustainability ambitions.

School of International Service sophomore Jonathan Beatty said he still supports the idea of a reusable box system but thinks it was not executed properly.

“A smarter way would have been to only sell around half of the boxes, he said. “That way there would always be a set amount that stays in TDR.”

School of Communication sophomore Megan Clark said she was not troubled by the interruption.

“I am completely supportive of AU becoming a more sustainable campus and I think that we should give the box system another shot,” she said.