Men's soccer ties Colgate in 2011 conference championship rematch

Although a second-half goal from Colgate’s Patrick Letourneau erased the Eagles lead, the AU men’s soccer team opened up Patriot League play with a point in a 1-1 draw Sept. 22 in Hamilton, N.Y.

“Our team played well tonight, we created several quality chances,” AU head coach Todd West told AU Athletics. “I am happy with the performance. An effort like tonight should produce some victories in our upcoming Patriot League matches.”

Both teams had chances to put goals on the board in the first half, but neither team was able to convert on the opportunities.

AU (4-4-1, 0-0-1 PL) got the first scoring opportunity of the game early. Charlie Hunter’s corner kick found Dale McDonald, but McDonald volleyed the ball wide and the game remained scoreless.

In the 15th minute, Colgate’s Wade Martin cleared McDonald’s pass, making it difficult for Alassane Kane to put the ball away. Five minutes later, Raiders goalkeeper Liam Stapleton denied Kane’s shot generated from a breakaway opportunity on net.

The Raiders (1-4-4, 0-0-1 PL) kept the momentum with a dangerous free kick played into the 18-yard box with 10 minutes left in the first half. The ball went into the goal, but the officials disallowed the score due to a Colgate handball.

Seth Goldman opened the scoring in the 50th minute when Hunter’s corner found Goldman’s head, and the redshirt senior finished to put AU in front 1-0.

The Raiders responded with the equalizer in the 68th minute, when Letourneau slipped the ball past AU goalkeeper Billy Knutsen off Mike Garzi’s corner kick.

“We had some good moments and we had some poor moments but overall, what I am really pleased with and proud about is the way our guys battled,” Colgate head coach Erik Ronning said. “Coming back from a goal down in the Patriot League is never easy, and we showed a little bit of resiliency. “

Colgate held a 3-2 advantage in shots in extra time, but Knutsen and Stapleton made stops to preserve the tie, and each squad picked up a point.

“Hunter and Jay Shoates got their first collegiate starts and played well,” West said. “Our back four was very good tonight. We put together a quality team performance with some key players missing.”

The Eagles switched gears with a non-conference match Sept. 25 but were shut out at Loyola (Md.), 2-0, to mark their third consecutive game without a win.

The Greyhounds (5-3-1) struck first in the 20th minute, with Stephen Dooley finding the back of the net from 20-yards out by sending a right-footed shot past Knusten.

In the 72nd minute, Larry Ndjock sealed the game for the Greyhounds.

Dooley carried the ball deep into the box through several AU defenders and chipped the ball to Ndjock, who was able to head the ball in for the 2-0 lead.

The Eagles will get back to their conference schedule Sept. 29. when they host Bucknell at Reeves Field.