Field hockey bounces back following 0-4 start

AU field hockey is flying high after going 2-0 on the weekend at the Terrapin Invitational in College Park, Md.

The Eagles earned a 2-1 double-overtime win against No. 19 Massachusetts, along with a 3-0 win over Dartmouth.

After a disappointing 0-4 start to the year, AU came out firing against Dartmouth (1-3) Sept. 8.

Alex McMackin knocked in the game’s first goal before Carly Atchison put the Eagles up 2-0 with her first goal of the season.

Later in the game, McMackin notched her second goal of the game off an assist from Kati Rothenhoefer to put AU up 3-0.

Ashley Dalisera played the entire game between the pipes, turning away all four shots on goal.

The Eagles defense soared to another spectacular performance against UMass Sept. 9, and Dalisera shined with 14 saves.

AU struck first, with Jaclyn Anspach scoring at the 5:44 mark.

But after the Eagles took a quick 1-0 lead, both offenses went dormant for over 50 minutes. UMass (3-3) eventually tied the game up on a deflection off a penalty corner with just over ten minutes left in regulation, and the game went to overtime tied at 1-1.

The Minutewomen had the best opportunities in the first overtime period, but they were unable to convert on either of their two penalty corner chances.

UMass put a total of four shots on goal in both overtime periods, and Dalisera was there to shut the door all four times.

The Eagles managed only one shot in that same time frame, but that was all they needed.

Shelly Montgomery recorded the game winner in the 92nd minute, giving AU its first overtime victory on the season.

Despite the successful weekend, a troubling trend has emerged after AU’s first six games. The Eagles are being badly outshot by their opponents.

On the season, AU’s opponents have held an 89-44 advantage in shots over the Eagles. That must change going forward with the Eagles scheduled to take on No. 19 Michigan State Sept. 14 in East Lansing, Mich.