Coffee chat with your AU administrators

Rob Hradsky Dean of Students

Originally from the Baltimore area, Dr. Hradsky started at AU in 2008. He previously worked at the University of Baltimore as the vice provost for enrollment management and student affairs from 2005 to 2008. At the Dav, the Dean of Students prefers to keeps things simple.

“I kind of go for plain. So for me, rather than getting something more elaborate, I just go for the plain old coffee, but I like it strong,” he said.

The Eagle Scout has four children and is a fan of science fiction and “pop-psychology” genres.

Hradsky is reading two books this summer: “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card and “Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding the College Years” by Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger. While he doesn’t watch much television, Hradsky enjoys the show “Modern Family.”

Gail Hanson VP of Campus Life

Dr. Hanson is a native of Waukegan, Ill.

“It’s not exactly a suburb of Chicago, but north of Chicago,” she said.

Hanson left the U.S. Department of Education in 1997, where she researched the distribution of federal financial aid, to take on her position as vice president.

A chai latte with skim milk is Hanson’s go-to drink at the Dav. She’s walked the Great Wall of China -- a certificate proving so sits on her office wall -- and can never turn down coffee ice cream.

Hanson is also reading two books: “The Art of Fielding” by Chad Harbach and this year’s required reading for freshmen, “The End of Country” by Seamus McGraw.

Neil Kerwin President

President Kerwin calls Waterbury, Conn. his hometown. He spent his undergraduate career at the University and rejoined the AU community as a faculty member in 1975.

While the president has made a name for himself in the world of academia, he also spent time working as a forklift driver, crane operator and machine operator as a student during his summers off from AU.

Decaf coffee is Dr. Kerwin’s beverage of choice at the Dav and broccoli is a food he can’t resist. He has just completed reading two books – “A World on Fire” by Amanda Foreman and “The Sense of an Ending” by Julian Barnes -- and is still working on several more.

Scott Bass Provost

Dr. Bass is from Detroit, Mich. and began his career at AU in 2008 as Provost. Not one for television, Bass is currently reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson.

Breaking from the University tradition of mass coffee consumption, Bass only drinks water -- a favorite Dav drink is out of the question. Chocolate, fine bread and pastries are all treats that the Provost finds difficult to resist.

When asked about a fact that students wouldn’t know about him, Bass simply replied with the duties of his job, saying that many students don’t understand what his position entails.

Chris Moody Assistant VP for Housing and Dining

Moody is originally from Raleigh, N.C. He started at AU in March 2004, where he was the assistant director of housing and dining. He was promoted to associate director in 2005 and by 2007 he was the director of housing and dining. He was also appointed as assistant vice president last year.

Like the dean of students and the president, Moody has a conservative palate when it comes to Dav drinks.

“I’m a pretty basic iced-coffee with cream and sugar guy,” he said.

Moody is a fervent watcher of the Olympics, with a special interest in both volleyball and handball. He has worked on a cruise ship during a Semester at Sea program and is a self-proclaimed Diet Coke addict.

“You will never see me without a Diet Coke in my hand,” he said.

Staff Writer Zach C. Cohen contributed to this report.

Agreco@theeagleonline.com