University Librarian Bill Mayer will leave AU to work at the National Archives in June. He has worked at AU since 2007.

University Librarian accepts job at National Archives

University Librarian Bill Mayer will step down June 8 after accepting a position at the National Archives and Records Administration, according to a memo sent out by Provost Scott Bass.

In 2007, Mayer was hired as the University Librarian after working at: • Catholic University • Harvard University Business School • Massachusetts Institute of Technology • George Washington University • Washington Research Library Consortium.

Mayer’s work at AU included restructuring the library’s organization, including assigning librarians to specific schools as well as creating the Graduate Research Center. He also increased the library’s database, electronic and print holdings, Bass said in the memo.

“I'm a better person, leader, and professional for having been here at AU,” Mayer said in an email.

Mayer said his time at AU will help him in his next job.

“The commitment to excellence that is AU, in all facets, is what inspired me to accept this new challenge,” he said. “I'm extraordinarily fortunate to have been able to be here during such transformative times.”

Bass said more information about Mayer’s replacement will come soon.

“Truly amazing people work and learn here,” Mayer said. “It's not easy to leave.”

agreco@theeeagleonline.com