Former presidential candidate Jon Huntsman, here addressing CPAC in Orlando, Fl., will speak in the University Center at 8:15 p.m. on April 18.

Jon Huntsman to speak at AU on April 18

Former presidential candidate Jon Huntsman will be speaking on April 18 in the University Club.

He will be the Kennedy Political Union’s last speaker for the year, co-sponsored by the AU College Republicans. The event will start at 8:15 p.m.

KPU Director Alex Kreger thinks Huntsman will be a good speaker because he was so recently in the national spotlight.

Huntsman dropped out of the Republican presidential primary in mid-January. His campaign featured his daughters, who created a series of campaign videos for him. The videos were posted on their YouTube channel, Jon2012Girls.

Prior to his campaign for president, Huntsman served two terms as the governor of Utah and spent time as the American ambassador to China under President Barack Obama.

Kreger said Huntsman has some of the freshest political ideas right now and will be able to speak to Republicans, Democrats and Independents alike.

“I think there will be a lot of excitement and people will be interested because he is a unique candidate,” she said.

Tickets are not required for the event.

rzisser@theeagleonline.com