Eagles lacrosse drop third consecutive contest

The AU women’s lacrosse team looked to get back in the win column when it took on the University of Maryland-Baltimore County April 17.

Instead, the Retrievers dealt the Eagles their third straight loss when they defeated AU 13-11 in Baltimore.

Emily Burton scored a team-high three goals, but it wasn’t enough to propel the Eagles (7-8, 3-3 PL) to victory. They have not won a match since March 31.

Kimberly Collins, Samantha Marshall and Emily Stankiewicz chipped in two goals in the loss. Stankiewicz also scooped up four ground balls to pace the defense.

Lindsay Cox led the way for the Retrievers (7-7, 3-2 America East), posting a game-high four goals to go along with two ground balls in what was a strong game for the UMBC junior midfielder.

The game’s key moments came during the end of the first half and into the second. After Burton scored to put AU in front 5-3 with 10 minutes until halftime, everything unraveled for the Eagles.

In a stretch spanning the final six minutes of the first half and opening seven minutes of the second, UMBC notched seven straight goals to go ahead 10-5.

Freshman Abby Wilson scored all three of her goals during the 7-0 Retriever run.

The Eagles fought back into the game, and trailed 11-10 with 10:45 to play following a goal from Stankiewicz. But AU couldn’t get over the hump, as Cox answered with two goals down the stretch to secure the UMBC win.

Burton scored with six seconds remaining for the 13-11 final.

The game was evenly matched on the stat sheet, with AU holding a small edge in shots (25-24) and ground balls (14-12).

UMBC held the edge in goal, as Anna Barnett made eight saves on 19 shots on goal while AU’s Kaska Komosinski made just three on 16.

The road doesn’t get any easier for the Eagles, who wrap up the regular season April 21 at No. 12 Ohio State.

AU is done with Patriot League regular season play, but can clinch a spot in the PL Tournament if Holy Cross defeats Lafayette April 21 in Worcester, Mass.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com